8.3.15

Being A Christian Lone Parent

I read this article the other day, and I have to be honest and say a lot of it resonated with me. I am not the only single parent in our ward, there are 5 of us (active and attending most weeks), so in some respects its been made slightly easier for me. I do however, understand exactly how the author feels about the church's strong push to towards the nuclear family being the only way to survive in this modern world. I actually, kind of agree with this, but I also hope it doesn't mean I am doomed to failure because I cant meet the standard.

My impending divorce also falls within the 'acceptable category' of Christian LDS divorce, namely, it was my husbands fault. I offered reconciliation, joint counseling, and the promise to try and exercise forgiveness. The truth is, my ex didnt want forgiveness, he made it very clear he wanted to carry on being unfaithful and promptly moved out of our home and began living in another city.

I like to think I am a good Mother, we all have our insecurities, but on the whole, I try pretty hard, and no one could claim to love their children more than me. How sad then, to feel that no matter how hard I try, it just won't be enough, because his Daddy left.

I do want to find an eternal husband though, and although I have made small baby steps towards getting to know other single people, I am also aware that the amount of single LDS women far out weighs the amount of single LDS men (unless I move to Utah or Idaho, which may not be as far fetched as it first sounds).  I may not find someone in this mortal life and it grieves me to think I will feel like a failure all that time.

For now, I am navigating the ups and downs of managing alone (my son is sick today and not in school, so I couldnt go to work). I am sad my marriage ended (devastated may be a better description), but the support I have received from my church and church friends has far exceeded the feeling of not being 'part of the club'.




V

No comments:

Post a Comment