10.1.12

Mess - Named And Shamed

Did I mention I was tired? I think I did. Well so was Oscar yesterday, and this led to him falling asleep on the sofa at 6pm. The knock on effect of this early night meant a 6am start........... 6am. Strangely enough I have seen a few online comments about people being more tired around the full moon. I will have to try and pay attention next month to see if our sleep patterns are thrown out again (interesting or total guff? We shall see).


Anyway, what happens when everyone is too tired?


5 017


They eat giant bowls of popcorn, and


5 018


5 027


sit in a giant mess.


Its no wonder then that a blog post entitled 52 weeks to clean your house caught my eye. Lets be honest, its about the speed of things around here. Seriously though, I did find the source of the post after some clicking and I have decided to give it a go (since I am only a week behind).


If you want to join in 52 Weeks To Organize You Home, Is Here. For those of you who cant be bothered clicking, the basic idea is to tackle a small area (that depends on how bad things are in your/my house I guess), each week. I am notoriously bad at sticking to things (that low boredom threshold again lol), but I do like sorting things out, so that's a bonus.


Week 1 Week #1 Organized Home Challenge Kitchen Organization: Countertops & Sink This was last week so I need to catch up here, but thats ok.


The main problem with my kitchen is that its about 50 years old and pretty horrible. That is one of the pitfalls of renting. I have bought tile paint (white), cabinet paint (white) and wall paint (white emulsion and orange emulsion), but I have lacked the motivation to actually get on with it, even though I know it will make a VAST improvement. Maybe if its clean and clutter free I will get the push to paint it (hopefully).


So, the step by step guide gives some main points to follow.


Step 1: Think About The Functions Of Your Kitchen


(cooking, eating, food storage, bill paying etc)


Step 2: Create Useable Counter Space And Clear Your Kitchen Table (Mostly)


Step 3: Consider Kitchen Storage Solutions To Help Clear Counter Space


Step 4: Create The Habit Of Keeping Your Sink Clear Of Dishes At Least Two Times Per Day


The website goes into much more detail with tips and ideas, so if you are joining in you should hop over for a look (after you finish reading here of course).


Can I just say, right off the bat, I only have BEFORE photo's because I have not done it yet. I am hoping I will be motivated to do it tomorrow if I have photo's of my scubby kitchen to greet me on the blog (or I will delete the post and deny all knowledge of it lol).


Work-surfaces-


5 009

Beside the sink -


Mini chinese tea cans which have never been opened


An orange teapot,


an empty coffee jar (used for saving up money - ahem - empty),


Duncan's flask,


A pagan wine goblet,


2 jars for homemade washing powder,


homemade bubbles in a juice bottle,


a bottle of glycerin


5 010

Beside the cooker


An empty jug (used for watering plants)


Jar with herbal teabags


Yellow jug with utensils


Cooking Oil


Yellow teapot (hidden behind kettle)


Kettle


Cup


Jar with blackberry vodka


Spoon rest


Tea and coffee and sugar canisters


Earl Grey teabags


Plastic bucket with veg scraps & old teabags


5 011
Beside cooker


Bread board with homemade bread


Coffee Machine


Empty vinegar bottle (no idea why its not in the bin)


5 012
Tiny surface and top of fridge


Microwave


Place-mat


Toaster on a chopping board


Chopping board


Plastic box containing sharp knives


Cake stand


Roll of plastic bags


Grandma's old bread box (containing medication  and plasters etc ugg not good)


The butter dish hangs out there too


5 013

On top of the tumble dryer


A laundry basket


A radio (just about in sight)


Kitchen Scales


A 1970's plastic Pineapple (don't tell me you don't have one?)


5 014
I think these sort of count as the same thing?


Bottom Shelf -


Cookery Books


Plastic lunch boxes


Middle Shelf -


Last weeks fruit and veg box


Baby bottles in a plastic bowl


Top Shelf -


This weeks fruit and veg box


A plastic basket with garlic and onions in it, plus


2 metal curry dishes


And a string shopping bag hanging off the end.


5 015
Other side of sink


1 empty and 1 half full wine bottle


A dishwasher which has NEVER been plumbed in


A chicken egg house


A box of duck eggs


A wire chicken egg holder (hidden)


A bag of plants from poundland


A cooling rack


A set of plant-pots


So there we have it. Named and SHAMED. Are you brave enough to do the same? Let me know if you join in. I also give you permission to ask for an update if I conveniently don't mention it again by Monday (that excludes people who live in this house, you know who you are....Duncan, lol).


Oh yes, and lastly, the knock on effect of being up at 6am


5 028
Oscar fell asleep on the sofa at 6pm again (its going to be early again tomorrow!)


Valerie


xxx


Footer_banner



No comments:

Post a Comment