24.5.11

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Situation



We have officially decided to try for another baby. Its quite a relief to have made a decision about it, but obviously, the nerves about 'can I', will kick in soon. I have never had any problems getting pregnant, despite some long odds. With my first child, I got pregnant the first month of trying (I actually knew the date), with my 2nd child it was exactly the same, but I wasn't kidding myself, I was a slim, healthy young woman of 21 when I conceived.
I had a tubal ligation (INFO HERE), when I was 24, after years of terrible PND. Obviously I shouldn't have made such a serious decision whilst suffering from depression, but I also feel in hindsight that my GP should never had made the referral at that time. As it turned out, my fertility consultant agreed, particularly since no counseling was offered prior to the surgery. Luckily for me, the referral letter said I was a healthy young woman, with no medical problems except suffering from PND. .When I requested a reversal, the panel decided it should never have been done, and I went to hospital in January 2008 and had the surgery. Unfortunately, it was only possible to re-connect one fallopian tube because the other tube was backed right up.I should point out that my case went to panel because I was requesting a reversal paid for by the NHS, I could have paid for it myself without going to panel (reversal of tubal ligation costs approximately £3000).
We started trying for a baby in March 2008 (I was 38 at the time). I was expecting it to take a long time to conceive, and we had been warned it may NEVER happen. To our utter disbelief and delight, we became pregnant in May 2008, after only 3 months of trying.
Last year, when we decided to try for another baby we got our positive test the first month. Sadly though, we lost that baby. So here we are again, month 1, about to start again.
I am 41 now, and I have the distinct feeling, its not going to be so easy this time. Wish us luck guys, and if you find my posts getting more stressed and a bit squinky in tone, please remind me to chill out.

** The picture in today's post is 'Teddy John', born yesterday (Monday 21st March), by C-Section, and weighed 8lb4oz. His mummy is one of my dearest friends from Art School. Congrats to you L and R, Teddy is beautiful**

No comments:

Post a Comment